Shirdi Sai Ashtothram and Meanings
From: The Life and Teachings of Sai Baba of Shirdi by Antonio Rigopoulos
1. Om Shri Sai Naathaaya Namaha
Om, to the Venerable Lord Sai, prostration (namaha;
the term stands for worship, but also for meditation
directed to the Divine Figure to whom it is addressed)!
2. Om Shri Sai Laxmi Naaraayanaaya Namaha
Om, to (Vishnu as the Sleeping God lying on waters in
the interval between destruction and re-manifestation
of universes) Narayana (accompanied by Fortune
Goddess) Laxmi, prostration!
3. Om Shri Sai Krishna Rama Shiva Maaruthayaadi Roopaaya Namaha
Om, to Him whose forms Krishna and Rama (the
well-known descents of Vishnu in the world), Shiva
(Hanuman, considered as His Descent) the Son of Wind
and so on are, prostration!
4. Om Shri Sai Sesha Saayiney Namaha
Om, to Vishnu (in His aforementioned form) laying on
(the Divine Serpent) Shesha, prostration!
5. Om Shri Sai Godavari Thata Shirdi Vaasiney Namaha
Om, to (Rama) who has His abode near the shores of
(the Holy She-river) Godavari, prostration!
6. Om Shri Sai Bhaktha Hrudaalayaaya Namaha
Om, to Him whose seat (His) devotees’ hearts are, prostration!
7. Om Shri Sai Sarva Hrunnilayaaya Namaha
Om, to Him whose abode the hearts of all (beings) are, prostration!
8. Om Shri Sai Bhootaa Vaasaaya Namaha
Om, to Him in whom the beings dwell, prostration!
9. Om Shri Sai Bhoota Bhavishyath Bhaava Varjithaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who is bereft of past, future and present, prostration!
10. Om Shri Sai Kaalaateetaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who transcends time (and/or death), prostration!
11. Om Shri Sai Kaalaaya Namaha
Om, to (Krishna in his cosmic aspect shown to Arjuna
in the Bhagavadgita) who is Time (and/or Death), prostration!
12. Om Shri Sai Kaala Kaalaaya Namaha
Om, to (Shiva as Savior of His devotee Markandeya
menaced by Yama) the Death of Time (and/or Death),
13. Om Shri Sai Kaala Darpadamanaaya Namaha
Om, to (Shiva in His aforementioned form) the Subduer
of the pride of Time (and/or Death), prostration!
14. Om Shri Sai Mrutyunjayaaya Namaha
Om, to (Shiva in His aforementioned form) the Death-winner, prostration!
15. Om Shri Sai Amartyaaya Namaha
Om, to the Deathless One, prostration!
16. Om Shri Sai Martyaabhayapradhaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who gives mortals immortality, prostration!
17. Om Shri Sai Jeevaadhaaraaya Namaha
Om, to Him who sustains the living (beings), prostration!
18. Om Shri Sai Sarvaadhaaraaya Namaha
Om, to Him who sustains all, prostration!
19. Om Shri Sai Bhakthaavana Samarthaaya Namaha
Om, to Him able to grant favors to (His) devotees, prostration!
20. Om Shri Sai Bhakthaavana Pratignyaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who promises to grant favors (whenever
asked by them) to (His) devotees, prostration!
21. Om Shri Sai Annavastradaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who grants food and clothing, prostration!
22. Om Shri Sai Aarogya Kshemadaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who grants health and patience, prostration!
23. Om Shri Sai Dhana Maangalya Pradaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who freely gives wealth and fortune, prostration!
24. Om Shri Sai Buddhi Siddhi Pradaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who grants (yogic) powers and realization, prostration!
25. Om Shri Sai Putra Mitra Kalatra Bandhudaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who grants sons, friends, wives and kin, prostration!
26. Om Shri Sai Yoga Kshema Vahaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who brings forth yogic accomplishment, prostration!
27. Om Shri Sai Aapadbhaandhavaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who washes away misfortunes, prostration!
28. Om Shri Sai Maargabandhavey Namaha
Om, to (Shiva as sung in a celebrated hymn by the
mystic, philosopher, and literate Appayya Dikshita)
the Friend along the path, prostration!
29. Om Shri Sai Bhukti Mukti Swargaapa Vargadaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who grants fruitions, liberation, heaven
and abandonment of rebirth, prostration!
30. Om Shri Sai Priyaaya Namaha
Om, to the Beloved One, prostration!
31. Om Shri Sai Preethivardhanaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who increases love, prostration!
32. Om Shri Sai Antharyaaminey Namaha
Om, to (the Absolute as Paramatman, the Supreme Self) the Inner Ruler, prostration!
33. Om Shri Sai Sacchhidaatmaney Namaha
Om, to (Paramatman) whose self Being and Conciousness are, prostration!
34. Om Shri Sai Nityaanandaaya Namaha
Om, to (Paramatman) who is Eternal Bliss, prostration!
35. Om Shri Sai Paramasukhadaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who grants supreme ease, prostration!
36. Om Shri Sai Parameshwaraaya Namaha
Om, to (Paramatman) the Supreme Lord, prostration!
37. Om Shri Sai Parabrahmaney Namaha
Om, to (Paramatman) the Supreme Brahman, prostration!
38. Om Shri Sai Paramaatmaney Namaha
Om, to the Supreme Self, prostration!
39. Om Shri Sai Gnyaanaswaroopiney Namaha
Om, to (Paramatman) whose very nature gnosis is, prostration!
40. Om Shri Sai Jagath-pitrey Namaha
Om, to (Brahma) the Father of the universe, prostration!
41. Om Shri Sai Bhaktaanaam Maatrudaatru Pitaamahaaya Namaha
Om, to (Brahma) who is mother for (His) devotees, the Bearer (of universe) and the Great Sire, prostration!
42. Om Shri Sai Bhaktaabhaya Pradaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who freely gives to (His) devotees fearlessness, prostration!
43. Om Shri Sai Bhakta Paraadheenaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who cares for (His) devotees, prostration!
44. Om Shri Sai Bhaktaanugraha Karaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who is very gracious to (His) devotees, prostration!
45. Om Shri Sai Sharanaagata Vathsalaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who loves (like a cow her calf) those who seek refuge (in Him), prostration!
46. Om Shri Sai Bhakti Shakti Pradaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who freely gives devotion and power, prostration!
47. Om Shri Sai Gnyaana Vyaraagya Pradaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who grants gnosis and detachment, prostration!
48. Om Shri Sai Prema Pradaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who freely gives love, prostration!
49. Om Shri Sai Sankshaya Hrudaya Dowrbhalyapaapakarma Vaasanaakshayakaraaya Namaha
Om, to Him who causes obliteration of doubts, heart
feebleness, sins, karman (of present and past lives)
and the traces (thereof), prostration!
50. Om Shri Sai Hrudaya Granthi Bhedakaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who cuts off the heart knot (a well-known
Upanishadic Metaphor for ultimate realization), prostration!
51. Om Shri Sai Karma Dwanseeney Namaha
Om, to the Destroyer of karman (of present and past lives), prostration!
52. Om Shri Sai Shuddha Satvasthitaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who stays in pure minds, prostration!
53. Om Shri Sai Gunaateeta Gunaatmaney Namaha
Om, to (Paramatman) who transcends attributes and
(yet) is the very self of attributes, prostration!
54. Om Shri Sai Anantakalyaana Gunaaya Namaha
Om, to (Vishnu as worshipped by the Pancaratra
tradition) who is possessed of infinite auspicious
55. Om Shri Sai Amita Paraakramaaya Namaha
Om, to Him whose strength is unmeasurable, prostration!
56. Om Shri Sai Jayiney Namaha
Om, to the Conqueror, prostration!
57. Om Shri Sai Dhurdarshaa Kshobhyaaya Namaha
Om, to the Unconquerable and Unshakable One, prostration!
58. Om Shri Sai Aparaajitaaya Namaha
Om, to Invincible One, prostration!
59. Om Shri Sai Trilokeyshu Adighaata Gataye Namaha
Om, to (Vishnu in His descent in the world as the
Brahmin Dwarf, Vamana) whose going is unimpeded in the
three worlds (earth, intermediate space, and heaven),
60. Om Shri Sai Asakya Rahitaaya Namaha
Om, to Him for whom nothing is impossible, prostration!
61. Om Shri Sai Sarva Shakthi Moorthaye Namaha
Om, to Him who is All-Powerful, prostration!
62. Om Shri Sai Suroopaa Sundaraaya Namaha
Om, to the Handsome and Beautiful One, prostration!
63. Om Shri Sai Sulochanaaya Namaha
Om, to Him with beautiful (or far-seeing) eyes, prostration!
64. Om Shri Sai Bahuroopa Vishwamoorthaye Namaha
Om, to Him of many shapes, having all forms, prostration!
65. Om Shri Sai Aroopa Vyakthaaya Namaha
Om, to (Paramatman) the Formless and Unmanifest One, prostration!
66. Om Shri Sai Achinthyaaya Namaha
Om, to (Paramatman) the Unthinkable One, prostration!
67. Om Shri Sai Sookshmaaya Namaha
Om, to (Paramatman) the Subtle One, prostration!
68. Om Shri Sai Sarvaantaryaaminey Namaha
Om, to (Paramatman) who is everybody’s Inner Ruler, prostration!
69. Om Shri Sai Manovaagateetaaya Namaha
Om, to (Paramatman) who transcends mind and speech, prostration!
70. Om Shri Sai Prema Moortaye Namaha
Om, to Him whose Love (as the ultimate mystic experience) is, prostration!
71. Om Shri Sai Sulabha Durlabhaaya Namaha
Om, to Him easy to reach (yet) difficult to approach, prostration!
72. Om Shri Sai Asahaaya Sahaayaaya Namaha
Om, to the Assistant without assistant, prostration!
73. Om Shri Sai Anaatha Naatha Deenabandhavey Namaha
Om, to the Protector of those without protector, the Friend of the poor, prostration!
74. Om Shri Sai Sarvabhaara Bhruthey Namaha
Om, to Him who takes upon Himself everyone’s burden, prostration!
75. Om Shri Sai Akarmaaneka Karma Sukarmaney Namaha
Om, to Him who well accomplishes the unsavory tasks, prostration!
76. Om Shri Sai Punya Shravana Keetanaaya Namaha
Om, to Him the hearing of whose glorification is purifying, prostration!
77. Om Shri Sai Teerthaaya Namaha
Om, to the (holy) Ford, prostration!
78. Om Shri Sai Vaasudevaaya Namaha
Om, to (Krishna) Vasudeva’s son, prostration!
79. Om Shri Sai Sathaangataye Namaha
Om, to the Ultimate Resort of the good, prostration!
80. Om Shri Sai Satyanaaraayanaaya Namaha
Om, to the Final End of the good, prostration!
81. Om Shri Sai Lokanaathaaya Namaha
Om, to the Lord of the worlds, prostration!
82. Om Shri Sai Paavanaanaghaaya Namaha
Om, to the Purifier Immaculate, prostration!
83. Om Shri Sai Amruthaanshavey Namaha
Om, to (the Moon identified with the Holy Plant Soma)
whose filaments give forth the juice of immortality, prostration!
84. Om Shri Sai Bhaaskara Prabhaaya Namaha
Om, to the Sun shining halo, prostration!
85. Om Shri Sai Brahmacharyatapascharyaadi Suvruthaaya Namaha
Om, to Him whose vows are chastity, asceticism and so on, prostration!
86. Om Shri Sai Satyadharma Paraayanaaya Namaha
Om, to the ultimate resort of truthfulness, prostration!
87. Om Shri Sai Siddheshwaraaya Namaha
Om, to the Lord of the Realized Ones (the immortal yogin Dattatreya), prostration!
88. Om Shri Sai Siddhi Sankalpaaya Namaha
Om, to Him whose resolutions are (immediately) realized, prostration!
89. Om Shri Sai Yogeshwaraaya Namaha
Om, to (Shiva) the Lord of yoga, prostration!
90. Om Shri Sai Bhagavathe Namaha
Om, to Possessor of Divine Glory (Bhagavat, an epithet
reffered to Shiva as well as to Vishnu, but also
employed for a respectful designation of the Guru,
e.g. the Buddha in the Buddhist texts), prostration!
91. Om Shri Sai Bhakta Vatsalaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who loves (like a cow her calf) His
92. Om Shri Sai Satpurushaaya Namaha
Om, to (Vishnu as the Sacrifice, the Primordial
Makranthropos from the portions of whose sacrificed
body the universe was made according to a celebrated
Vedic Hymn) the True Male (Purusha), prostration!
93. Om Shri Sai Pushottamaaya Namaha
Om, to (Vishnu in His aforementioned aspect) the
Supreme Male (Purusha), prostration!
94. Om Shri Sai Satya Tatva Bodhakaaya Namaha
Om, to (the Guru) who awakens (His disciples) to the
Principle of Reality, prostration!
95. Om Shri Sai Kaamaadishadvairi Dhwansiney Namaha
Om, to the Destroyer of the Six Foes beginning with
Desire (Desire, Anger, Greed, Hatred, Pride, and
96. Om Shri Sai Abhedaanamdaanubhava Pradaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who freely gives the actual experience of
Undivided Bliss, prostration!
97. Om Shri Sai Sama Sarvamata Sammataaya Namaha
Om, to (the Sai himself, here presented in a
characteristic feature of His teaching) who approves
all religious persuasions (matani) as equal,
98. Om Shri Sai Dakshinaa Moortaye Namaha
Om, to the Venerable (Shiva as Teacher of Absolute
Truth through silence) with His face to the South (the
direction of Death, as identified with one of the
Fires in Vedic Sacrifice), prostration!
99. Om Shri Sai Venkatesha Ramanaaya Namaha
Om, to the Lord of the Venkata Hill (Vishnu as
Tirupathi, a Tamil epithet denoting Him as Husband of
Fortune Goddess Shri), prostration!
100. Om Shri Sai Adbhutaananta Charyaaya Namaha
Om, to Him of wonderful and blissful deeds, prostration!
101. Om Shri Sai Prapannaarti Haraaya Namaha
Om, to Him who takes away the pains of those who yield
themselves (to Him), prostration!
102. Om Shri Sai Samsaara Sarvadhukkha Kshayakaraaya Namaha
Om, to the Cause of the obliteration of every suffering of the Round of Rebirth, prostration!
103. Om Shri Sai Sarvavitsarvato Mukhaaya Namaha
Om, to the Omniscient One, whose face is turned everywhere, prostration!
104. Om Shri Sai Sarvaantarbhahi Sthitaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who stays inside and outside all (beings), prostration!
105. Om Shri Sai Sarva Mangala Karaaya Namaha
Om, to the Cause of all auspiciousness, prostration!
106. Om Shri Sai Sarvaabheeshta Pradaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who freely gives all things wished for, prostration!
107. Om Shri Sai Samarasa Sanmaargasthaapanaaya Namaha
Om, to Him who consolidates the True Path along which
all experience (for the mystic) has the same taste, prostration!
108. Om Shri Sai Samartha Sadguru Shri Sainaathaaya Namaha
Om, to the Venerable Efficacious True Guru, the Lord Sai, prostration